Learn about the advantages to investing in the Calgary Region including our productive and flexible workforce, competitive tax rates, expanding transportation infrastructure and much more. Explore our site or contact us to learn about new investment opportunities in the Calgary Region. INVEST NOW
The Calgary Region’s economic performance has led Canada for the last decade, and is forecasted to do so. Despite a strong energy sector, the Calgary Region also has a diversified regional economy such as our transportation & logistics sector. It has the highest per capita concentration of head office employment in Canada (second to Toronto in number of corporate head offices).
Why invest in the Calgary Region?
- Average population age is 35.7 years old.
- 62 per cent of the workforce has trade, college or university education (highest percentage of post-secondary educated citizens in Canada).
- Highest concentration of entrepreneurs and the largest number of technology start-ups per capita in Canada.
- More than 100,000 students advance post-secondary skills training through the University of Calgary, SAIT Polytechnic, Mount Royal University, and several other educational providers.
- 120 languages locally spoken; 25 per cent of the population is foreign born.
Low Business Costs
Calgary is globally cost competitive with respect to the cost of establishing and operating a business.
- 2006 - 5.3% operating cost advantage over the United States, 3rd least expensive of major Canadian cities in which to do business, 2nd to Singapore in comparison to large international cities (KPMG Competitive Alternatives Study)
- 2008 - 2% cost disadvantage to U.S. (largely attributed to appreciation of the Canadian dollar), costs similar to Australian cities, costs from 1% to 27% lower than cities in Europe and Japan.
- One of the Top 3 “emerging powerhouses and best urban prospects in North America,” in its analysis of the world’s fastest growing cities, describing Calgary as “business friendly and relatively affordable.” (Forbes Magazine, 2010)
- Calgary # 1 for Metro Areas in its Canadian Competitiveness Rankings (Site Selection Magazine, 2009)
- The Region’s workforce has a competitive cost of living. In 2008, Calgary ranked 66 out of 140 global cities compared (#1 being the most expensive)(Mercer, 2008).
The Calgary Region is a transportation hub for much of central and western Canada. Investments are ongoing and include City light rail (C-Train) expansion, a major airport expansion including new runway construction and ring road construction.
- Canada’s fourth busiest airport, the Calgary International Airport is a major cargo hub with extensive cargo facilities, and is one of only three airports in Canada with direct flights to both Asia and Europe.
- The Calgary Transit is recognized as one of the most successful transit systems in the world, and is currently expanding to Calgary Region communities.
- The Calgary Region is a major rail freight hub. Rail service is provided by both of Canada’s major railways (CP and CN), offering cargo access to markets in North America and abroad through the Ports of Vancouver and Prince Rupert.
- The Region is intersected by Highway 1 (Trans Canada) - the world’s longest highway, and the 6,000 km CANAMEX Corridor (Highway 2) - a trade corridor that extends from Northern Canada to Mexico.
- High speed internet infrastructure is available throughout the Region. The Region has the highest Internet use in Canada, at 85 per cent.
High Quality of Life
The Region’s geography has lent itself to an active lifestyle and a culture of adventurous outdoor recreationalists. Virtually any recreational pursuit is supported by superior infrastructure, facilities, and programs.
- The Calgary Region is a cinema scene stealer, with 428 movie, TV, documentary, short film productions and/or episodes filmed in the Region.
- Calgary Ranked the fifth most livable city in the world out of 140 cities worldwide (The Economist Magazine, Intelligence Unit, 2010).
- Ranked number one Eco-City in Mercer’s (2010) global Quality of Living rankings.